Kerndt Brothers Bank has been protecting the interests of our clients for more than 158 years. We’re your local hometown bank and we care about the citizens of our community. One way we show our concern for you each year is by celebrating National Consumer Protection Week (NCPW).
The NCPW campaign is always held the first week of March. The purpose is to educate people about their rights and to protect them against scams, fraud, and identity theft. The goal is that—armed with information—all consumers will make better-informed decisions.
From topics including banking to investing to shopping and saving, the National Consumer Protection Week website offers a wide variety of information from federal, state, local and non-profit sources.
As a consumer, there is a wealth of knowledge that you can gain from NCPW to improve your personal security and financial situation. Being a savvy consumer is not hard if you follow a few of these tips:
- Knowing what you want and can afford.
- Do your research by asking trusted friends and family advice about the item or service you are purchasing.
- Make sure the seller has all appropriate license by checking with the state or local licensing agency.
- Read and understand any contract you are asked to sign. Bring up any questions you may have and get everything in writing.
- Do not buy on impulse.
Having a low credit score limits you as a consumer in what you can purchase, such as a car or a home. Understanding how to improve your credit history and pay less for loans early, will lead to easier, more fiscally responsible buying decisions:
- Pay your bills on time
- Reduce the amount that you owe on credit cards and other lines of credit
- Review credit reports regularly for errors or signs of identity theft
Above all else, be on the lookout for fraud and phishing scams. Understanding how not to get hooked will almost guarantee your personal and financial security.
Just like the professionals here at Kerndt Brothers Bank, we know you care about your customers’ safety and welfare. As a business owner, you can easily show your support for NCPW and for your own clients. Consider one or more of the following ideas:
- Host an informational meeting or event and invite people in your community to attend.
- Distribute or mail free resources to your customers, family, and friends.
- Blog about NCPW on your company website. Or you can share NCPW’s blog.
- Add this informational video to your marketing emails.
- Harness the power of your social media channels to direct people to NCPW’s site. You can include information on your company Facebook or LinkedIn page. Or you can tweet a simple message like this: National Consumer Protection Week takes place the first full week of March each year. Visit ncpw.gov for consumer protection tips and material.
- Write an article for your local newspaper.
- Visit the www.ncpw.gov website to download free flyers and articles you can share with your customers.
As a business owner, we encourage you to subscribe to NCPW so you can stay informed through blogs, updates, and news. The better informed you are, the better you can help sustain and build trust with all your customers.Follow me on Google+